Wednesday 10 April 2013

Grow Into Your Photography Gear


After I proof read my next article for PhotoTECH magazine I remembered when I went to media day today at the last airshow... lots of media types there and lots of air show enthusiasts that make the circuit. Most sporting a camera or two.

The "MONEY" hanging around peoples necks was "ASTOUNDING". Canon 5D's and Nikon D4's with battery grips, the big guns with teleconverters attached to give them what I call "peeping Tom" focal length... One guy had a 500mm and the other a 600mm on his camera... he could have had a Toyota Corolla hanging around his neck worth less money.

Don't get me wrong, when you get to a certain proficiency level, the better gear does make a difference. I respect the people that are that good at photography and invested the money in their craft to produce even better quality images.

But what really shakes my head is the people that invest all this money in gear that they do not know how to use.

I am not saying, "Don't invest in better gear." Heck, at the time I was an OLY shooter using an E-30 and E-3 and I was deciding on how to upgrade my gear. But I am at that level. I understand a camera's functions and how to produce a quality photo in a variety of situations. I have been taking photos for over 30 years and honed my craft. A better digital camera has now made me a better photographer. I switched to Nikon, bought two bodies and now have some lenses that could buy me a small used car...

But for those of you starting out, or for the photographers that wants to take things to the next level... my advice... invest in the most important element of taking a better photograph first.... that's the 6 inches between your ears. Before you spend thousands, or even tens of thousands of dollars on gear, learn the basics of photography and master the craft. Then buy a DSLR that you can grow into over a period of a few years... take it slow and upgrade to gear jsut past your proficiency level so you always have gear to grow into. This hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. You will continue to learn and grow with every click of the shutter.

Become a student to the passion or hobby of photography and don't over compensate by investing in the $11,000 lens just yet. You will get there... you just need better skills first.

Thanks for reading,

Kev


1 comment:

  1. Hear Hear!

    Having a better camera/lens doesn't make you a better photographer... It 'allows' you to become a better photographer. You still have to work out the 'become a better photographer' part on your own.

    So many people would be better off with less gear, and a good workshop.

    ReplyDelete