Monday 2 July 2012

Summer Photography Ideas


Summer is in full swing in the northern hemisphere... In Canada we just celebrated Canada Day and our American cousins are about to celebrate Independance Day on July 4th. Families start taking holidays and the camera shutters are clicking off different types of images everywhere you go.

I thought i would dedicate todays blog post to my TOP 3 things to photograph in the summer...

#1... at the lake early in the morning...

I love getting up eary in the morning and going down to the lake before sunrise... as the blue hour ticks away it introduces us to the golden hour of shooting just after sunrise. The solitude and the awakening of a new day is an awesome way to spend a few hours with yoru camera.

Check out my tips on long exposure photography here... http://kpepphotography.blogspot.ca/2011/09/long-exposure-landscape-photography.html

#2... fireworks...

In North American we have plenty of opportunity to shoot fireworks... Canada has the May 24 and July 1st, the USA has July 4th ... plus we have an International fireworks competition that happens in Toronto and Vancouver where the potographic opportunities for fireworks displays are endless.

If you live near Niagara Falls there are also weekly firework displays one can go and see every week.

Fireworks is just not about taking photos for me, it usually means I get to spend some time with my teenagers as they love to see fireworks as well...

#3... street photography...


Living so close to Toronto I have the luxury of headed down to Toronto to photograph the people and architecture of one of the largest cities in North America. Every time I go it ends up being something different. From the atmosphere because a different summer festical is on, or the type of people you meet... it is a cornucopia of opportunity when you wander into a large city with a camera.

Check out my street photography tips here... http://kpepphotography.blogspot.ca/2011/12/street-photography.html

You can also check out my workshops or photo tours page. I run a few workshops and photo tours where we focus on the techniques used in these types of photography. Or come see Rick Sammon this fall in Kitchener. Rick is putting on a weekend seminar at Bingeman's Park this September.

What are your favorite things to photograph in the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment